Friday, April 22, 2016

N is for Names

N is for Names. Character names are a very important part of any story. A name can give insight into the character’s personality or occupation. It can indicate social standing or familial ties. When writing fantasy, as I do, world building is important. Cities and villages must also be named.
                I would love to know how other writers come up with the names for characters and places. I can only share my own methods. I have named characters after friends and family members, usually altering spelling or changing the name somewhat. If I meet someone with a unique name, I might ask them if I may use their name in a book. (I don’t always ask.) I also have a running list of names. The list is broken into sections; pirates, first names, last names, towns, islands and such. You get the idea.
                Shakespeare wrote. “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called.”
                But would he? The play could have been called Ted and Francis. That doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue like Romeo and Juliette. Arnold and Sybil do not sound like tragic young lovers. “Arnold, Arnold, wherefore art thou?” That just doesn’t work.

                Perhaps the rose would smell as sweet and the boy be as fair. Then again, maybe not. I think names are important. What do you think? N is for Names. #atozchallenge

No comments: