Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Adina the Snarky Fairy and the Curious Box



Arkansas Writer's Conference Honorable Mention    




 

      Adina flitted among the flowers as quickly as her little fairy wings would carry her. Menacing dark clouds rumbled overhead. “I hope I can make it to that cave before the rain starts. I hate getting wet.” She waved her hand to initiate a magical boost to speed her to the sanctuary. The wind picked up and the first fat drops fell just as she reached the opening. Adina snapped her fingers and fairy lights danced around the cave. She backed deeper in to avoid the rain blowing through the entrance.

     “Hello.” A soft voice beckoned.

     Adina snapped around to come face to face with a strange little creature with long ears and twitching whiskers. It was a dirty brown color and moved silently a few steps back. “Are you a dust bunny?” Adina’s eyes widened in recognition of the rare magical creature. “I’ve never met one of your kind before. What are you doing here? How did you even get here?”

     The bunny moved forward again. “Hello. My name is Rupert. And yes, I am a dust bunny. I’m not really sure how I got here. I was taking some sun in the window and it was quite windy. I

                                                                                                                                                2

was blown out into the street and then into a basement through a grate. There was a man sitting at a desk…and then I was here.”

     “I’m Adina.” She reached out to touch the creature. “Sorry.” Adina drew her hand back, embarrassed. “It’s just that I’ve heard of dust bunnies, but just in stories.” She brushed her hands together, then wiped them discreetly on her dress. “What are you?”  



     “Well Adina, dust bunnies are magical creatures from the Common World. There was a time when we flourished there. We lived under the beds of humans to keep the monsters away. Our numbers dwindled and we began to disappear when people began cleaning under their beds regularly. That, of course, allowed monsters into their world.”

     “Stupid humans.” The fairy rolled her eyes.

     “I was fortunate that the humans in my house stored things under the bed. I had a safe place behind a box marked ‘craft supplies’ and a box marked ‘fat clothes’. They never vacuumed that far back.”

     A violent crack of lightening followed immediately by a boom of thunder caused them both to jump and move instinctively farther into the cave. Adina noticed a passageway towards the back. “Have you been back there? I wonder how far it goes.”

     “I came from back there but it’s too dark to see anything. I felt my way through the dark until I saw the light from the opening. But I was afraid to go outside. I knew it was going to rain and as you might imagine, water and dust bunnies are not a good combination.”

    

                                                                                                                                                3

     Adina flicked a finger and the fairy lights swirled and floated through the passageway, illuminating a path. “I don’t like getting wet either. The storm isn’t letting up any time soon.  Let’s see what’s back here.” Rupert hopped soundlessly by her side. 

     Just a short distance down, the passage opened to another cave. Adina’s lights swirled around the ceiling of the smaller room. In the center sat a strange device, a curious metal box with five toggle switches and a big red button in the center. “Did you see this when you were back here?”

     “As I said, it was completely dark. I can’t make light. I think this is where I was earlier but I don’t recognize that machine.” Rupert sniffed suspiciously at the box.

     Adina flipped a couple of the switches. Nothing happened. “What do you think it does?”

     Rupert eyed her nervously. “I don’t know, but maybe don’t go flipping switches on a machine you know nothing about.”

     “I don’t think it does anything.” Adina flipped another toggle and pushed the red button.

     Suddenly, they were standing behind a snowbank. The air was biting cold. They heard loud pops followed by explosions. Adina blinked at the brightness of the sun gleaming on the snow. She fluttered up to the top of the snowbank to see a mighty battle. There were armored vehicles and huge mechanical beasts lumbering across a frozen plain. Fantastic contraptions flew through the air shooting fire. When one crashed nearby, the impact sent a wave of snow in their direction. Adina dropped behind the snowbank.

     Rupert hopped behind Adina just in time. A splash of wet slushy snow smacked her in the face, running down her front and landing with a sploosh, right on top of her shoes. She turned to

                                                                                                                                                4

glare at the mostly dry dust bunny. Rupert took one timid step back to avoid the slush dripping off her pointed nose. Adina pushed her sodden hair behind a pointed ear. “I think we should leave now.” The bunny just blinked. “Push the button again!” She yelled.

     Rupert scurried to the machine, dramatically slamming a paw on the red button. He and Adina both braced in anticipation of returning to the cave. Nothing happened. Rupert’s eyes widened. He pushed again and again to no avail. “Nothing’s happening. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the sounds of the battle are getting closer.”

     Adina winced as another explosion shook the ground. “You must not be doing it right.” She fumed. “I’m wet and cold and I want out of here! I hate getting wet!” Adina flipped two of the toggles before trying the red button again.

       A hot dry wind blew sand in her face. Adina squeezed water out of her dress, turning her back to the wind. Looking around she realized that there was nothing but sand in every direction.

     “Help!” Rupert cried out. He gripped the machine as the desert wind threatened to tear him apart or carry him away. “I can’t hold on much longer.”

     “I’m coming.” The wind battered Adina’s wings, rendering them useless. She ran toward the machine.

     Rupert struggled to maintain his hold. The wind buffeted him. His little paws slipped, and scrambling for a grip, he flipped a toggle switch just as the wind snatched him away. Adina missed Rupert’s outstretched paw but hit the red button on the machine.

    

                                                                                                                                                5

     Her bottom bounced off the spongy ground. Rupert landed in a poof of dust nearby. Adina looked up to see colorful birds flitting from branch to branch in tall pink trees. “That’s new.” She blinked. “Or maybe I hit my head.”

     “Nope. They’re pink. The grass is pink and the sky is soft orange, like a cantaloupe.” Rupert stood on his hind legs, swiveling his head back and forth. “So many colors!” He hopped excitedly in a circle. “Trees with pink leaves and trees with leaves of aquamarine! Some of the trunks are bright green and some a deep purple. I’ve never imagined flowers with bright blue stems and petals of lavender.” The grubby brown bunny sighed deeply. “I’m a reflection of my environment. I spend most of my time in the dimly lit dinginess under the bed. This must be heaven!” He bounced on his hind legs kicking into the air, landing with a thump. He hopped once and bounded away, scampering around the trees and sniffing the flowers.

     “Crazy rabbit.” Adina scowled. She sat still but the ground moved beneath her. “This place is weird. But you are right. It’s colorful. I know a few fairies who’d love it.” She rocked to and fro with the rolling ground. “It feels like I’m on a boat…made of carpet, with freaky pink grass on it.” Adina scanned the area. “Hey Rupert. Are you listening?”

     The dust bunny popped out of a pink bush with blue and purple flowers. “I heard you. I noticed. The ground is bouncy.” He hopped toward the fairy. “Why are you smiling? You think this place is weird.”

     “It got a little better. I think it’s just weird enough.” Adina’s smile broadened. “Dust bunnies are a reflection of their environment, huh?” She raised her eyebrows at him.

    

                                                                                                                                                6

     “Why are you looking at me like that?” Rupert glanced down at his feet. They were pink. He looked over his shoulder and saw bits of color from the flowers he’d run through. His cotton tail was bright blue. Pulling down a long ear he saw smudges of purple and green. He laughed, and laughed, and laughed, rolling in the pink grass. Adina couldn’t help but giggle at the colorful bunny.

     While he frolicked, Adina inspected the machine. “This contraption works a bit like a portal; except we don’t walk through. It sends us instantaneously. It seems that the toggles determine location and as we have experienced, the red button sends us there.”

     She found walking on the spongey landscape difficult and decided to fly as her friend hopped from flower to flower. The panorama below her was a spectacle of color. “You have to see this,” she called to Rupert. Adina fluttered down to her new friend. He appeared to be roughly half her size. “I think I can carry you.” When she took him in her arms she was amazed at how little he weighed. “You’re light as a feather.”

     “Dust bunnies don’t typically weigh much.” Rupert gripped around her neck. She flew high into the trees. “It’s beautiful, Adina. Thank you.”



     Adina smiled. “It is amazing. I would love to see more of this place.”

     “What are those?” Rupert pointed to large bubble-like fruit hanging in some of the trees.

     “You stay here and I’ll see if I can pick one.” Adina deposited him on a high branch. She flitted to the bubble-tree. She reached for one but her wing tip made contact with a large bubble above her. There was a gentle pop and Adina was drenched with water. The volume of fluid

                                                                                                                                                7

drove her downward. She twitched water from her wings and caught enough air to flutter drunkenly to the not-so-solid ground. Once again her dress was sodden and her hair soaked. “I’ve seen enough of this place,” Adina declared. “I’m wet! Again! It’s time to go home.”

     “Oh can’t we stay a little longer?” Rupert pleaded, bouncing on a branch high above her. He lost his footing as he hopped along the limb and before Adina could react, came crashing to the ground in a puff of colorful dust.

     Adina fluttered to her flattened friend. “Rupert!”

     “Ouch.” Rupert shook himself back to his regular shape. “I’m okay.”

     “What? That fall should have broken every bone in your body. How are you okay? Adina shook her head.

     Rupert smiled. “Thanks for your concern but dust bunnies don’t have bones. We are held together by magic. I’m literally a ball of magic…and dust and stuff.”

     Adina flipped a toggle on the curious box. Rupert threw up a paw to stop her but she’d already pushed the red button.

     Rupert fell across Adina’s lap. She sat on the green grass in the shade of an oak tree. “This is the common world,” Rupert’s nose twitched. “I guess I’m home.” He sighed. Adina fluttered her wings but he made no effort to move from her lap.

     “What is this place?” She asked, noting the activity in the area.

     “This is a park. Human children come here to play.” Rupert nodded to the rampaging youngsters on the playground. While they watched, a little girl approached.

                                                                                                                                                8

     “Mama. Somebody left a fairy doll.” The child squealed. “And the fairy’s got a bunny.” The girl’s keeper waved from a bench nearby. “Your wings are pretty.” She reached for Adina.

     “Thank you, but please keep your hands to yourself.” Adina admonished the child.

     “It talks. It talks.” The girl bellowed. She grabbed the fairy and began squeezing her. “Again, again. Say something else.” She pinched Adina’s foot and poked at her belly.

     “She thinks you’re a toy.” Rupert whispered.

     “Unhand me, brute!” Adina flicked her hand and a few tiny sparks erupted. The surprised child loosened her grip so that Adina could wrench free and flutter up into the safety of the tree. Unfortunately, Rupert remained firmly in her grasp.

     “Mama, mama. She flew up in the tree.” The little girl yelled to the adult.

     “Carol, if you’ve thrown another toy into a tree, I’m not going to the trouble of getting a ladder and fishing it out for you.” The woman yelled back, exasperated.

     “I didn’t. She flew up there herself.” The child dropped Rupert unceremoniously on the grass. She began jumping up and down. “Get it! I want it!”

     The adult human saw that the small one was winding up for a full scale meltdown. “It’s time for us to go.” She began gathering their belongings.

     “I want that doll. She talks.” The tears began, followed by shrieking sobs. “I want it!”



                                                                                                                                                9

     While the little angel screamed and pulled her own hair, Adina dropped down to where Rupert lay crumpled on the grass next to the machine. “Now if I put these switches back the way they were the very first time…” She flipped the toggles into place.

     Adina paused. “Rupert, you do want to come with me, right?”

     The bunny brightened. “Oh, yes please!”

     The red faced girl turned just in time to see the fairy stick out her tongue and push the red button.

     Adina gestured in the darkness and fairy lights twinkled above them, illuminating the small cave. Rupert followed her up the path to the opening. Bright sunlight poured through the entrance.   “The storm is over. I can fly you to the village.” Adina and Rupert stepped into the sunlight.

     “I think that apparatus is better left alone.” The fairy raised her hands with a flourish. Rocks above the cave tumbled over the entrance. “That should keep out any prying eyes.” She dusted off her hands. “Have you given any thought to where you’d like to live?” Adina questioned the bunny as they fluttered over the meadow. “If you really want to live under the bed, I know a human and I’m certain he never cleans.”

No comments: