Friday, December 11, 2015

The Author Speaks: Better Late than Never, I suppose



I have been so busy working on Marabella's next adventure that I completely forgot to post here last month. I wrote a post. I just never got around to posting.  So, here is my November/Thanksgiving post, just in time for Christmas.


     As we head into the holiday season, the debates begin about the appropriate time to begin decorating for Christmas, what retail stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day and how to survive the onslaught of family pressure during this season. Social media is loaded with holiday recipes and political rants to go along with the amusing kitten videos. I would like to concentrate on Thanksgiving.

     For my friends around the world, I do realize that Thanksgiving is a uniquely American holiday. And we Americans do love our holidays. The history of this holiday as told to grammar school children all over our country goes thus: At harvest time, the Pilgrims, early settlers of our country, and the Native Americans came together in peace for a great feast. Everyone contributed, bringing food for a large communal meal. It was the first recorded pot luck. Those present were thankful for the friendship and for the sharing of the food.

     In today’s American society of retail and excess, Thanksgiving has been reduced to one big meal, several football games, a couple of parades and lots of shopping. It’s sad really. There are still families who come together and talk about the things that make them thankful. Unfortunately there are too many others who come together to bicker and shop.

     I would like to tell you the things for which I am thankful. I am thankful for my husband, the kindest, most patient man I know. His willingness to support my dream of being a writer weighs heavily but he never complains. I am thankful for this ridiculously flawed but still free country. I am thankful for you gentle reader. Though you may be few, I appreciate each and every one of you who read my words. You give me purpose.


No comments: